Let’s imagine a scenario, where it’s the middle of the night, you’re staring at the ceiling fan, thinking about your bills, kids, or any other secondary work. When you can’t sleep effectively at night, it’s tempting to turn to sleep supplements for relief. But if that is happening regularly because of your bad sleeping habits like caffeine intake, viewing late-night TV, phone, then it definitely is a red flag and something is wrong. But whatever the difficulty is, it won’t be cured with sleep supplements. At best, sleep supplements can be regarded as a temporary band-aid. At worst, they are addictive and can make insomnia worse in the long run.
It is essential to understand that sleep supplements are most effective when used economically for short-term circumstance, such as traveling across time zones.
Negative impacts of Insomnia
Fetching inadequate sleep can:
- Weight gain, which is difficult to lose.
- Contributes to chronic pain.
- Weakens the immune system, making it difficult for the body to fight diseases.
- Leads to irritation, fatigue, and excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Decrease motor function, making it difficult to drive.
- Lead to elevated blood pressure, increasing the risk of heart diseases and diabetes.
Side effects of sleep supplements
All prescribed sleep supplements have side effects, which vary contingent on the specific drug, how long it lasts in the body, and the dosage. Common side effects include dry mouth, unsteadiness, prolonged drowsiness, constipation, rebound insomnia, headache, trouble concentrating, and muscle aches.
Also, sometimes the sleep supplements can interact with other medications. This can ultimately worsen the side effects and sometimes be harmful, especially with prescription painkillers and other sedatives.
Tips for safer use of sleep supplements
Begin with the lowest recommended dose
Observe how the medication impacts you and the kind of side effects you experience.
Never drive a car after pooping a sleep supplement
This is specifically essential when you begin using a new sleep aid, as you may know how it will impact you.
Take a sleep supplement when you will have adequate time for at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
Otherwise you may feel quite drowsy the next day.
Make sure to never mix sleep supplements with other drugs or alcohol.
Alcohol not only disturbs the quality of sleep, but it also increases the sedative impacts of sleeping pills. The combination can be quite harmful, even deadly.
Technique for relieving sleep without medications
Before you pop that supplement, try the means of proper sleep hygiene to fetch adequate sleep at night. Sleep hygiene can be defined as a collection of habits that can benefit you to fall asleep more easily and deeply.
The Do’s of Sleep Hygiene
- Follow a regular sleep schedule, seven days a week.
- Try to take a warm bath before bed.
- Make sure that the sleep environment around you is relaxing and pleasant. The bed should be comfortable, and the room shouldn’t be too hot, or too cold, or too bright. Be sure that the pillows are comfortable.
- Try to exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Restrict vigorous exercise to the morning or afternoon, and not near your sleeping time.
The tricky part of fighting is maintaining good sleep habits. It can be hard to stick to good sleep hygiene. If you want to sleep in a more relaxing way, visit us at Waikite. We offer luxurious pillows, sheets, and mattresses so that you can easily sleep like a baby.