The word sleep is loved by everyone. After all, it is one of our favorite things to do! Scientists and researchers across the world are learning more things abut sleep each day.
Do you know the reasons of why we feel or do particular things in our sleep? Today, we put together 15 bizarre and fun facts about sleep that you probably have never heard of!
1. 12% of people dream entirely in black and white.
In olden times when color television was not introduced, only 15% of people dreamt in color! Also, older people have black and white dreams more often than younger people.
2. Two-thirds of a cat’s life is spent asleep.
This is no surprise to most cat owners. Your lovely cats are usually found sleeping on your favorite seat or computer keyboard.
3. A giraffe needs only 1.9 hours of sleep a day, while a brown bat needs 19.9 hours a day!
Animals have a drastic difference in their required sleeping time.
4. We, humans, spend 1/3 of our life sleeping.
This fact definitely varies depending on the lifestyle and the age of the human, but on average it’s around a third. It is quite a lot when you think about it!
5. There is a record for the longest period without sleep. It is 11 days!
This record was set in 1964 by a Californian student named Randy Gardner. This is definitely not recommended since it has strong adverse effects on a person’s health. Randy had experienced extreme sleep deprivation while others have died staying awake for this long.
6. Deaf people use sign language in their sleep.
A lot of people have stated that their deaf partners or children use sign language in their sleep.
7. Dysania is the condition of facing difficulty in getting out of bed in the morning. Fun fact about sleep right?
We all find it tricky to get out of bed every now and again, but for those suffering from Dysania, it is particularly difficult. It can be considered to be a form of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
8. Parasomnia refers to unnatural movements during sleep.
This can lead to severe consequences. Due to parasomnia, some people have even committed a crime, like sleep driving and even murder.
9. The sensation of falling when half asleep and jerking yourself awake is called ‘hypnic jerks’.
The reason why these jerks occur is still unclear, but they are not a problem-causing sign. However, they may be increased by anxiety, caffeine or physical activity close to bedtime. These occur more frequently in young people and decrease as they grow older.
10. It’s thought that up to 15% of the population are sleepwalkers!
The National Sleep Foundation conducted a research that proves this. There is also a myth that you shouldn’t wake someone who is sleepwalking.
11. Sleep deprivation can kill you faster than food deprivation.
Neither of which is good for you, obviously, but a few studies claim that sleep is more important than food in the short term.
12. Those who are born blind experience dreams involving things such as emotion, sound, and smell rather than sight.
Actually, the timing of the blindness in a person’s life impacts what he or she dreams about.
13. Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten.
And after an additional 5 minutes, 90% of recollection is gone. Sigmund Freud believed this was because our dreams represent repressed thoughts and emotions and so our brain wants to get rid of them as soon as possible. However, it is more likely that we forget our dreams due to our brain is simply being used much more as soon as we’re awake.
14. Fear is not actually the main emotion for nightmares to happen.
Researchers have found out that nightmares occur due to feelings of guilt, sadness, and confusion.
15. 41% of the British population are said to be sleeping in the foetal position.
The 5 other sleeping positions that are common are the log, yearner, starfish, soldier and free faller.
So, continue to sleep as much as possible and help the scientists discover more fun facts about sleep!
If you want to sleep comfortably at all times, get yourself the Waikite luxury pillow. These are antibacterial and are made from allergen-free synthetic spiral fiber that has a great plush support that pleases all!